Navigating UK VAT requirements can be a complex, but with Türner & Co, it’s seamless. Our expert team handles your UK VAT registration needs, letting you focus on your business.

Services offered by Türner & Co

  • Confirmation of UK VAT registration obligation: we assess if your business requires a UK VAT ID number. If a UK VAT registration is not required, we can advise if a UK VAT ID number would be beneficial for your business.
  • VAT registration: we manage the entire VAT registration process, including dealing with any queries raised by the UK tax authorities – HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
  • GB EORI number: we obtain a GB Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number for your business. A GB EORI number will be needed if your business is importing goods into the UK. To read more about importing goods into the UK click here.
  • Acting as your UK VAT agent: we handle queries from HMRC, providing expert advice and representation to you.
  • Preparation and submission of VAT Returns: timely and accurate preparation and submission of VAT returns, helping you avoid penalties and stay compliant. To read more about VAT compliance please click here.
  • Preparation and submission of VAT claims to HMRC: if your business does not have a UK VAT registration obligation, we provide assistance with claims to recover UK VAT costs.

VAT registration thresholds

  • UK established businesses: required to register for VAT if taxable supplies exceed GBP 85,000 per year.
  • Non-UK established businesses: must register for UK VAT from the first sale – there is no registration threshold.

When is a business established in the UK for VAT purposes?

A business is established in the UK for VAT if it has:

  • A business establishment or headquarters in the UK.
  • A branch or office in the UK with the necessary people and technical resources from which supplies can be made and received.
  • An agent acting on its behalf within the UK.

When does an overseas business need to register for UK VAT?

Your business may need a UK VAT ID number if it is:

How Türner & Co can help

Our services are tailored to address the specific VAT registration needs of your business:

  • We can review of your business model to confirm your UK VAT registration obligations.
  • We can register your business for UK VAT – our team handles the entire VAT and GB EORI number registration process.
  • We act as your dedicated VAT agent in the UK and will manage the relationship with HMRC.
  • You can rely on us for accurate preparation and submission of VAT returns. For more on our VAT compliance services, click here.
  • We can provide advice, tailored to your commercial needs regarding any issues that may arise following registration.
  • If you have completed your UK trading journey, we can manage the UK VAT deregistration process.
  • If you are not required to register for UK VAT, we can prepare and submit VAT reclaim applications to HMRC so that you can recover UK VAT incurred on business costs.

Contact Us

For personalised advice or to learn more about our services, Contact Türner & Co.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I register for UK VAT?

UK VAT registration applications are made online. We manage the entire process for you and will answer any questions which HMRC has about the application.

How long does it take to obtain a UK VAT ID number?

The process typically takes 8-10 weeks. Complex cases may take longer.

Can I trade while waiting for a UK VAT ID number?

Yes, trading is possible during this period, and we can provide the necessary guidance. Specific rules apply to invoicing, pending receipt of a UK VAT ID number.

What if I am late registering for UK VAT?

Penalties may apply, but we will work with you to mitigate them as much as possible.

What if my business is established in the UK?

UK-established businesses must register for VAT once taxable supplies exceed GBP 85,000 within a 12-month period. Voluntary registration is also an option and this can offer certain benefits.

Do I need a tax representative in the UK?

No, a non-UK business is not required to appoint a tax representative unless directed by HMRC.

Looking for something else?

Head back to VAT or see all the services we offer.

Want to find out more?

Speak to our team and find out how we can get you up and running for your next venture in the UK.

Contact Us
Design & Built by The Dairy Creative Agency
The Diary Creative Agency